As we spend time with family and friends this holiday season, there are many ways to incorporate learning and literacy fun for the whole family! Check out a few ideas we’ve compiled below:
1. Have a “Cooking” reading adventure! Choose a new holiday dish, a traditional family treat, or try a dish traditionally served in other countries! Read the recipe and cook together.
2. Write a letter to Santa! Although Christmas is just around the corner, there’s still time to practice writing skills with a letter or email to Santa.
3. Look up the lyrics to your favorite carols and sing them together! Singing these songs together can be a fun way to build reading fluency. Check out songs like, Here Comes Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, and Jolly Old Saint Nicholas. These songs have multiple verses and many people don’t know the words beyond the first verse.
4. Try a New Years count down practicing time! Starting on New Years Eve morning, help your children count down how many hours are left until midnight.
5. Write a New Years Resolution and share with the family! This activity utilized writing skills when creating the resolutions and reading skills when sharing the resolutions with the whole family. You can even take it a step further by creating a plan to implement the resolutions by using the calendar and planning further.
As the year winds down, cherish the opportunity the season holds and spend time with your family, showing them how important and fun learning and literacy is in our everyday lives. Remember, literacy starts at home and literacy starts with you.